Ask The Midwife

Jesica Dolin gives tips and helpful hints on pregnancy, birth, babies and all things midwife.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Q & A: Midwives, Nurses and Doulas - Oh My!

I've been asked a few questions now related to what type of midwife I am, the different types there are, etc.

I could explain about the different types of midwives, but the Oregon Midwifery Council has already done a fine job of that. In addition to what they have to say, I will add that most CNM's practice in hospitals, but there are a couple in the area who do homebirths; and LDM's and DEM's attend home and birth center births. To further complicate matters, although the OMC site does not mention them, Naturopathic Doctors (ND's) can also get a special endorsement in Obstetrics and attend births in homes and birth centers. Also, some DEM's are also Registered Nurses, some CNM's are also Licensed Accupuncturists, some ND's are also CNM's, etc.

Originally, I set out to be a CNM, but switched horses midstream. Because homebirth and working in birth centers was my goal, it didn't seem the right thing for me to train in a hospital (for me! for me! not for all!). So I attended Birthingway College, which for me was a great fit. Class size is small - my class had 12, they now accept 15 students per year - and tests are long (25-30 pages, and no multiple choice), and it was exactly the type of education I needed. Now, due mostly to frustration with dealing with insurance companies, I am toying with the idea of going back to school to become a CNM. Of course, being a CNM would not stop my frustration with dealing with them, only change the reasons why I would be frusted.

Another type of birth attendant is a Doula. Doula's do NOT provide any sort of medical care, they provide emotional support and comfort measures during labor. Free doulas are available through Birthingway College. They are student doulas, many of which are also in the midwifery program. (Now, this is all about labor doulas - there is also such a thing as a postpartum doula, which is a whole different topic.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home