Ask The Midwife

Jesica Dolin gives tips and helpful hints on pregnancy, birth, babies and all things midwife.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Q & A: Pain Relief

Q: I'm 16 weeks pregnant and I've been having sharp pains on the left side of my tail bone ever since my pregnancy started. I've never had this problem before and it usually starts after about an hour or two of continuos activity. (example: housecleaning) I don't lift heavy things or strain my self in any way, but the pain is very sharp and severe. when it starts I usually can't walk, stand, sit, or lay in any position without serious discomfort. a doctor told me it was ligaments stretching, but it doesn't feel that way. It feels more like a pinched nerve. Nobody beleives me when I describe the intensity of the pain, what is it, and what can I do about it? I hope you have the answer I'm looking for! - Marina

A: Clearly, you need to make housecleaning someone else's job. Problem solved! :) All joking aside, it is hard to be sure about weird aches and pains over email. But from what you are describing, it sounds like there is an issue with your SI joint (sacroiliac joint), a very common problem in pregnancy. The ligaments that hold the joint together get stretched by your growing uterus, at the same time your pelvis is softened by hormones (to make childbirth possible). Many of my clients have found relief from SI pain through chiropractic, accupuncture, and/or massage therapy. Hope you feel better soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home